Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Suited Up

Over the next two weeks I have four interviews for internships in the summer and fall, so it was a good time to replace the suit my Dad bought me fifteen years ago. It turns out that a 6'3", 145 lb. frame is a tough fit. Here's the timeline of my suit-buying odyssey:

2/16: Order suit from highfalutin' local men's shop
2/18: Return to shop for fitting. Suit is too short. Order another.
2/23: Call shop. Suit has not arrived.
2/24, 10:00 AM: Shop calls. Distributor sent the wrong suit.
2/24, 11:00 AM: Go to Men's Wearhouse. Pick suit off the rack.
2/24, 5:00 PM: Pick up tailored suit from Men's Wearhouse.
2/25, 1:00 PM: First scheduled interview.

The monolithic chain store did in six hours what the local haberdasher could not do in eight days. It hurts me to say it, but maybe Wal-Mart kills main street because Wal-Mart is better.

No comments: