Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Passing Moot Judgment

Last week Bowen hosted an undergraduate moot court tournament. It was a big tournament, and I was one of several dozen students drafted to serve as judges. I did this last year, too, and felt poorly qualified to criticize anyone's forensic skills. This year, with more moot court experience under my belt, I felt like an old pro. This weekend I'll be judging again in an intramural moot court tournament.

The more time I spend around moot court competitions, the less I think they resemble real appellate advocacy, but it's still a fun academic exercise--much more fun from the judges' side of the bench than the advocates' side. Hopefully the powers that be will keep using me for these tournaments after I graduate. Hopefully I will have an actual job as an actual lawyer to justify my participation in these tournaments after I graduate.

No comments: