Thursday, December 10, 2009

Two Exams are In the Bag

The Evidence and Family Law exams were every bit the nightmare I was anticipating. Thank goodness the Family Law exam was open book. I referred to my textbook and cheat sheets enough that I almost ran out of time. I wrote longer essays than I usually do, but they still looked very sketchy and incomplete to me. The Evidence test, by contrast, was closed book and 100% multiple choice: the bad, "choose the best available answer" kind of multiple choice. I am not confident about either test, but I'll try not to speculate about my grades because I have a long wait ahead of me.

I do have one piece of good news: MPRE scores are out. Mine were nothing to write home about, but well within the passing range. Here's an interesting side note about the MPRE: It's a national test, but different states require different scores to pass their bar. About a third of states require 75 out of a possible 150. Another third or so require 80. Another third (including Arkansas) require 85. There are a few odd numbers in there - some 77s and some 79s. California and Utah require 86. Why do you have to be such jerks, California and Utah?

No comments: