Monday, April 19, 2010

Joining the School Bureaucracy

The student government has appointed me to sit on the Faculty Publications Committee (three or four of the faculty committees include some token student representatives). I don't know enough about the Faculty Publications Committee to say whether this means that I have earned the respect of my peers or that I was just the first guy dumb enough to take the job. I think my only duties will be to attend a few meetings and report back to the student government, which should be easy enough. At minimum, I'll get to rub elbows with a few professors, and that can only be a good thing.

I don't have much of a handle on the relationship we students are expected to have with our professors. In some contexts (class) they can be very intimidating--deliberately intimidating, one often suspects. In other contexts, they're perfectly affable. Then, of course, individual professors vary in their approachability. It's all a terrible strain on my underdeveloped social skills.

No comments: