Monday, January 16, 2012

Employed, For Now

Today was my first day as a practicing attorney. A small firm hired me to fill in while one of the associates takes maternity leave. That will last a few months, and then they'll decide if the workload (and my performance) justifies taking me on permanently.

I've been chasing every job in sight for eight months, but I got this one because one of my law school classmates heard about it through the grapevine and gave my name to the hiring attorney. Do not underestimate the value of having a good reputation among your peers.

5 comments:

Esquire POV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Esquire POV said...

congrats

Irene Morgan said...

If you wish your law school experience had been easier, you’re not alone. It’s a tough world out there. I work with JD Match, a company striving to add some much needed sanity to the recruiting process. If you know someone in law school send them this link and give a fellow law student a leg up. It will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. http://bit.ly/A4WLWe

Drew said...

Congrats on the job even if it is temporary. I will most likely start at Bowen in August. How many of your fellow students were able to find positions in Central AR? What would you guess is the percentage of graduates that are still looking for jobs?

Steve said...

Has it really been three weeks since I logged in? Sorry about that.
I wish I were better connected to my classmates so I could hazard a decent guess about how many of us are employed. I haven't a clue, but I know that the career services office compiles its stats on May graduates the following February, so they'll probably be making some info available soon.
I know that law schools have a bad reputation for inflating their employment stats, but I think UALR's are fairly trustworthy--the participation rate in their surveys is high, and the numbers seem realistic.