Thursday, January 28, 2010

Unmet Expectations

Back when I scheduled my classes for this semester, I said that I was most looking forward to International Law. How quickly things change. Now I dread the sight of my International Law textbook. So far, the course is more philosophy than law. After all, can there even be such a thing as international law if there is no international legislature to pass it? No international executive to enforce it? If a sovereign nation recognizes a law higher than its own, can it still call itself sovereign? These may sound like fascinating questions to you, but they've been boring me to death for three weeks. I'd rather read Mosley v. General Motors Corp. any day.

There is some hope yet: the first third of the course is a general introduction to international law. The last two thirds is devoted to international criminal law. That has to be juicier, right?

No comments: