Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Four Down, One To Go

So far, exams have not lived up to their intimidating reputation. The staple of law school exams is what are called "issue spotting" essay questions: the question will rattle off a half-page description of some fictional events, then say "discuss any legal issues raised," or "advise Mr. Smith as to his legal rights." The facts are laid out in such a way that every few sentences invokes some very specific point of law covered in class. None of the tests has flummoxed me yet, so I'm sure I've passed. My grades will depend on whether I spotted as many issues and discussed them as thoroughly as my classmates.

One day left to prepare for the Property exam, and then it will all be over. Property is going to be murder. We covered more material in that class than in any other. It's also the only exam in which we're permitted to use notes: we can bring one page of typewritten notes to the test, subject to limits on font and margin size. I take that to mean that we're going to be asked some very specific questions.

No comments: