Friday, September 4, 2009

Starting Research

I have two monster papers to write this semester (10,000-15,000 words each), and I'm in the early stages of research for both. In my experience, legal research (probably any research) goes like this: First, you're frustrated because it seems like there is no relevant information out there. Search after fruitless search turns up nothing. Then, you come across the one perfect document that cites to a dozen relevant sources on the subject. Those sources cite to a dozen sources each, and from that point on you're frustrated because there isn't enough time in the world to read all the relevant information.

For now, I'm in the first stage of both of my projects: pulling my hair out trying to find just one document directly on point. With any luck, by the end of next week I'll reach the tipping point with at least one of the projects.

No comments: