Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Planning for Fall

I finally have 100% confirmation that I have an externship waiting for me in the fall. I'll be clerking at the Arkansas Supreme Court. If you don't know what that entails, it's like this: when a case comes to an appeals court, it comes with a boatload of paper. There's the record of the trial proceedings, and then there are briefs (that are anything but brief) from attorneys on both sides. Most appellate judges have a couple of law clerks who read all that stuff, double-check any cases or statutes the attorneys cite to, and make a recommendation to the judge. Law clerks are the oompa-loompas in America's law factories.
Research and writing projects have been my favorite part of law school, so I could not write a better job description for myself. This is work I would do for free--which I will be, because it doesn't pay.

I also took my Business Associations final today. I wrote a longish post about it, but I'm going to wait a few days to put it online because some of my classmates haven't taken the test yet.

No comments: