Sunday, August 10, 2008

For Starters

Here's the story: I'm not the blogging kind. I've never kept a journal. But ever since I applied to law school I've heard so much from so many people about what a grueling and life-changing time it is, I thought I had better make some pretense of documenting my experience.
Orientation starts in one week. To prepare, I've read One L by Scott Turow and attended a couple of on-campus welcome events. One L is Turow's memoir of his first year at Harvard Law School back in the early seventies. He plays up the crushing workload and emotional drama, but it wouldn't be very compelling reading if he said it was easy. I was surprised when I visited the Bowen School and everyone the administration had chosen to speak to prospective students said exactly the same stuff. Seriously, they could have been reading from Turow's book. The time commitment is horrendous. Your relationships will suffer. The stress will drive you to seek psychiatric help. Can it really be that bad?
I'll believe it when I see it, but the repeated warnings were enough to prompt me to start this blog. If law school is really as bad as all that, I'll probably keep posting.

No comments: