Saturday, August 23, 2008

Work Begins in Earnest

I have 92 pages to read for Monday, 68 more for Tuesday. I have always been a slow reader, but this law school reading is particularly slow going. It's not that the text is especially dense - judges' opinions are written in a more conversational style than you might expect - it's that law school teaches a very formal and verbose method of note taking ("case briefing" is the term of art). So far, I've been producing a page of handwritten notes for every four or five pages of reading.
The good news is, the assigned cases seem to have been chosen as much for drama as for their illustrative qualities. Property starts with the lawsuit over ownership of Barry Bonds' seventy-third home run ball. In Torts, it was an unlabeled crate of nitroglycerine that blew up a Wells Fargo warehouse in 1872. I'm sure there's plenty of dry reading to come (I haven't opened my Contracts text yet), but I'm loving it for now.

No comments: